Restaurant: Arang Restaurant
Location:1506 Fillmore St
San Francisco, CA 94115
b/t Ofarrell St & Geary Blvd
Western Addition, Fillmore
Bit on the sketchy side but it has a good parking lot which makes it easy to park!
Interior: It’s a pretty old restaurant so nothing is fancy inside, little seating area and can be a bit humid at times. A good remodeling may make this place up and coming but probably that is why the food is still on the cheaper end.
Service: quick and servers are tentative- makes up for the lack of space
I’ve been on a Korean wrap lately due to all the Korean drama that I’ve been watching. So what am I introducing to you guys today? Korean food of course. I love the spice and flavor of Korean food. Plus, the little side dishes are always a plus.
This restaurant has been around for ages, before the gentrification of San Francisco. I remember coming as a kid during my High School years (let’s not mention how long ago that was, haha). The price is reasonably cheap and portions are definitely enough to make you feel full. The host is great, super tentative and refills your side dishes at request. Though it can get busy during lunch hours, so if you going with kids, you may want to avoid the regular lunch times from 12-1pm.
This isn’t the typical Korean BBQ grilling parlor but more of a mom and paps comfort food for all occasion (not to say they don’t have good bbq dishes, there is and you should try).
Dish 1: We decided on a “army pot” for today as the weather is still a bit cold outside to warm up our souls. With the kids, we got a maximum spiciness which makes it super easy for the kids to indulge. Note-the picture looks like the broth is super spicy with the red color but it really isn’t spicy at all. If you look spicy, they are always happy to adjust the spice level for you.
They use the gasoline portable stove to make sure your army pot stays hot and boiling!
- super flavorable even when it is not spicy
- lots of condiments inside such as spam, sausages, rice cake, onions, instant noodle..
- It comes with rice, so make sure you pour some of that soup over the rice for a nice porridge finish
- Instant noodles should be consume asap before it gets too soggy
- lots of kimchee!!
Dish 2: Korean pancakes are filling and a good appetizer
- This is a crunchy not overly oily pancake with lots of condiments inside the pancake which makes it super chewy
- It contains squid, onions, leeks, carrots, and shrimp (There probably is more into the dish, but the listed items are what I vividly remember
- Its a good sharing portion, easy to cut up into pieces for the kids to eat
- I like the fact that there is actually lots of vegetable inside the pancake which is good for my kids, since they don’t really like vegetable itself
- yummy sauce on top for dipping! Even though the seafood pancake itself has plentiful flavor, you can always add a little more spice into it
- Overall, it is a good seafood pancake. I’ve had better elsewhere, but this do the job. I’ll give it a 3.5 out of 5
Dish 3: Bimbimbop in stone pot
- Its a flavorful pot of rice with all the veggies and meat put together in a bowl to mix with a red spicy sauce
- I like how it is served hot
- Egg is a good fried one with yolk running down into your rice when you mix
- Adding red sauce definitely is a must to give it a kick – people usually mix the sauce in before serving. Because of the kids, I didn’t want to put the sauce in so that we can adjust our own individual spice level
Side dishes are complimentary & you don’t have to be shy with asking for seconds!
There you have it, a good fast option for dinner or lunch! I also recall they have lunch special bentos which are about $10-12.
If your not full, or you are just like me who needs just some sweets to call it a wrap for dinner. I would recommend going around a few doors down to Boba guys for some yummy drinks! Come read my review on this little sweet spot!
Thanks for reading, please follow me if your interested in my recommendations. I would love to hear from you and if you have any suggestions. http://www.KitCatb.com