Location: 112 S B St
San Mateo CA 94401
Service: It is a very fast pace restaurant, people are nice but because of how much people eating during the lunch and dinner time, you may need to wave at them a few times to get your water or tea. So don’t expect great service, its a meh~ you’ll have to compromise through their portion size which is definitely much larger compared to other Japanese sushi places.
This place is known for their large portions of sushi rolls and Japanese dishes. I know that this is the same owner as Old Town Sushi which is a couple stores down from Old Town Ramen.
The reason Why I chose to come to this place instead of Old Town Sushi is because of these few facts:
- It is newer than Old Town Sushi, thus the store inside is cleaner
- The seating is much more comfortable if you have kids
- If you have large parties, they have these cute Japanese booths where it gives you some privacy or if you want the kids to not bother others haha!
- The wait time to get a seat is much better than Old Town Sushi
- The menu is exactly the same as Old Town Sushi plus an extra Ramen menu
- Portions are still very big for the price they charge
- This place isn’t the authentic Japanese style restaurant. It’s more tailored to Westerns I feel, since they have lots of Sushi rolls and creations that authentic Japanese restaurants may not have
- Nice bento boxes for those who want quick lunches!
This is what I ordered
- Its basically a bunch of sashimi with rice on the bottom
- portion is huge; more than enough for 2 people
- The fish isn’t the best I had, but the price is good…so don’t expect 100$ taste when you only pay $10
- Rice was not too cold nor hot
you can see that I had to take all that sashimi out to even find the rice on the bottom Next item Chicken teriyaki Entree
- HUGE portion again
- chicken not too dry, its pretty tender
- portion was enough for the 4 of us (even though its one entree)
- not too overly sweet with the teriyaki sauce
- If you like creative sushi rolls, they have a lot to choose from
- the hint of spicy mayo on top makes it yumm
- lots of imitation crab meat inside
Overall, this place is good if your not looking for a picky fancy Japanese restaurant. This would lean more towards Western Japanese food. I didn’t try their Ramen just yet, but will be coming back to review! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. Please follow and like my page! http://www.KitCatb.com
#Japanesefood #Sushi #sashimi #KitCatB #FOODiNG’s #OldTownRamen #Yum #Nom #SFBayArea #Foodie #LoveToEat